Resources for Women’s Health
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is a reminder not just to take care of breast health, but to take care of health in general. Studies have shown that women are more proactive about their health than men. In fact, a recent study from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention found that women were 100% more likely to seek preventive care (regular check-ups and health screenings) than men. Women are also far more likely to look for health information on the Internet.
The Internet is actually a wonderful resource for health information and guidelines, but sometimes it can be a little hard to know where to start. To help you, we’ve compiled a list of Women’s Health resources on the Internet to use as your starting point. The more you know, the healthier you can be.
Women’s Health Resources on the Internet
- The Office on Women’s Health– This government site, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, provides information on health topics involving women, news stories, reports, studies, and a monthly “Healthy Women Today” newsletter.
- The Women’s Health Center of WebMD– provides health information in a variety of formats including videos, slideshows, articles, and interactive discussions.
- Healthy Women – is an independent, nonprofit, health information resource for women. This site includes news, an “ask the expert” section, recipes and healthy eating tips, as well as in-depth information on health conditions affecting women.
- Women’s Health: MedlinePlus– is a government site providing very detailed information, including research, clinical trials, and journal articles.
- CDC Women’s Health – is a bit more scientific than some of the other sites, but provides healthy living tips, scientific research, and information on a variety of health topics affecting women.
- Women’s Health, Mayo Clinic – This site allows users to look up diseases by name or search symptoms. It also provides information on medicines, diagnostic tests, and healthy living for women.
Zwanger-Pesiri Radiology is also a great source of health information for women. Through this blog, Facebook, Twitter, and our website, we provide information on women’s health issues including: 3D Mammography, BRCA Genetic Testing, Breast Specific Gamma Imaging, Positron Emission Mammography, Breast MRI, Breast Biopsy and the know error system.
While the Internet is a great resource for information, nothing takes the place of a face-to-face discussion with your physician. Do the research and come prepared with questions to your next doctor’s appointment. The old adage “knowledge is power” is especially true when it comes to health.
Liked this info? Our October email newsletter covers more women’s health issues. If you’d like to sign up for our monthly email newsletter, please click here.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.